Oculus Quest 2 Controllers Specification & FAQs
Oculus Quest is one of the revolutionary VR games to be released back in 2019. Featuring a host of different games, which have been integrated into a headset to bring virtual reality to life. While the first version did have a few flaws, these were straightened out with the release of the second Quest 2 version in October 2020.
What Is The Oculus Quest 2 Controller? With a little bit of background on the Oculus Quest 2 headset, we should look at the controller. The controller is a unique upgrade to the previous one, with 4X expanded battery life and improved functionality to ensure that you can fluently play these new games.
However, understanding the functionality of these controllers can be daunting. To help you learn how it works and what features these controllers have, I am sharing some of the experiences from my time using the Oculus 2 VR set with controllers.
Oculus Quest 2 Specs
|Dimensions||191.5 x 102 x 142mm|
|Tracking||6DOF Head and hand tracking|
|Display||Fast-switch LCD (3664 x 1920 panel)|
|Chipset||Qualcomm Snapdragon XR 2|
|Battery Life||2-3 hours|
What Type Of Batteries Do Oculus Quest 2 Controllers Use?
The first thing you would notice is how the batteries are set up on this controller. Like many video games that use rechargeable lithium-ion batteries, the controllers on the controllers here do not. Only the headset would make use of rechargeable lithium-ion batteries. These batteries can be run through a USV-C cable when the unit runs out of charge. You will also be using the same USB-C connection for recharging the battery.
Unfortunately, built-in batteries are often subject to power issues. Occasionally, I noticed that the batteries simply did not charge, which could be due to a variety of reasons. In most cases, the cable might be damaged, or there might be some form of connection issue.
Due to this, the manufacturers have included the humble AA battery for the controllers. Therefore, each controller will have the capacity to use one AA battery.
In my experience, using disposable AA batteries is only a temporary solution. In comparison to the stronger lithium-ion battery, they will drain rather quickly.
I believe that using rechargeable AA batteries is a great way to save in the longer run. These batteries often have a life expectancy of 10 years, and are leak-resistant for the most part. They would keep you from buying a new pack of AA batteries every week.
Can You Charge Oculus Quest 2 Controllers?
Unfortunately, the Oculus 2 controller does not have any rechargeable lithium-ion batteries that you can use. Therefore, you will need to change the AA batteries each time it runs dead. However, those that use rechargeable AA batteries might be able to remove the batteries and recharge them.
It is advised that you have numerous rechargeable AA batteries for your controller. If one of them does die out, you don’t have to wait as long as it might take for them to recharge and can simply replace it with a different battery whilst the other is recharging.
The last method involves knowing how do you charge Oculus Quest 2 controllers with a charging dock. One of the best charging docks is the Anker charging dock. The dock is fully approved and licensed by Meta. The dock already comes with rechargeable batteries; you can simply place your controller on the dock for charging. It is one of the best Oculus Quest 2 accessories.
How To Change Oculus Quest 2 Controller Batteries?
Since there are no means of charging these batteries, users should be versed in the design of the controller to help them replace the batteries. After finding my Oculus Quest 2 controllers not working, I knew it had to be the batteries. Tinkering around with an Oculus controller and reading some of the instructions helped me understand how to replace the AA battery:
1. Find The Eject Symbol
One thing you would notice is that the controller features a small eject symbol, which is located in the palm grip of the controller. So, you simply need to take the controller and give it an overview, which would reveal the small symbol.
2. Opening The Battery Compartment
To open the battery compartment, you want to put your thumb on the release button, which is marked by the eject symbol. Once you have found it, you can slowly slide your finger up by applying a little bit of pressure. You should be careful, as the unit can break the connector holding the compartment cover together.
3. Replacing The Battery
Once you have removed the cover, you can simply remove the old battery. There are no specific tricks or features to keep in mind. Much like any other controller or household item using AA batteries, they will pop out when you apply a little bit of pressure to either of the sides or the middle.
4. Put In The New Battery And Close
Finally, you will need to put the new battery in the battery compartment, which should also pop right in. Again, make sure that the battery is put in correctly, with the positive and negative sides making contact with their respective poles.
Once you have inserted the battery, the cover should slide back into the compartment. Now, you can turn the controller on, which should work as normal.
How To Check Oculus Quest 2 Controller Battery Level?
One of the most frustrating things that I had to encounter was not being prepared for a battery change. If you don’t have any backups, you could be left for a few minutes without playing. Later, I learned that through the following steps, I can keep tabs on my battery levels to ensure they are always charged or need to be replaced:
- As you enter the Oculus home screen, you will see a mirage of different features and settings to access. You would need to access the main menu from this home screen by pressing the Oculus button.
- Once you have the menu screen in front of you, locating the battery section would be the next part of the job. It should be marked on the screen for much easier access.
- Upon entering the battery section, you will be able to see the current battery levels for each controller, as well as the headset. The headset won’t function when you forget it on, and the batteries drain, which makes this a great place to check before starting.
One of the things that people also need to keep in mind is the exact battery levels might vary depending on the batteries you use. Since most people stick to rechargeable batteries, dealing with a few dead battery cells can give an incorrect battery level. Therefore, it is essential to keep tabs on the batteries and make notes of how long they take to drain to provide you with an indicator of when to replace them.
How To Charge Oculus Quest 2 Controllers With Rechargeable Batteries?
The Oculus controller does not have any built-in batteries, which is often why many individuals wonder why and how they should go about charging these controllers. However, there is a way that I have touched on to do this, and knowing how to charge Oculus Quest 2 controllers can save you a lot on AA batteries.
The first thing you want to do is buy the Anker docking station. The docking station is licensed and approved by Meta for use on these controllers. Upon receiving the docking station, you will receive rechargeable batteries as part of the purchase.
You will need to put the battery inside the Oculus Quest 2 controller using the method of changing the batteries. Once it has been put in the controller, you can put the controller on the docking station. Since it features a wireless charging feature, you can leave the controller to charge until full.
I should mention that the controller comes with a USB-C charging point as well. So, if you have other rechargeable batteries, you can charge them using the cable and the charging port. Additionally, you can use the charging port to keep the controllers on when the batteries have died. This would allow you to continue using the system.
How To Pair Meta (Oculus) Quest 2 Controllers
Once you have your headset and your controllers, the tricky part could be setting them up to work efficiently. Unfortunately, everything does not come with an automatic connection. Instead, you will need to pair the controllers with the headset to ensure synchronization.
- Download The App: The first step is to download the Meta Quest 2 application from either Google Play or the Apple App Store. Once you have access to the application, you can start the pairing process.
- Put The Batteries In The Controllers: I have spoken a lot about the batteries and how you should go about putting them in the controller. You can follow the above steps to do this.
- Turn On The Headset: Next, you must make sure the headset is fully charged and turned on.
- Sign In: Once everything is one and fully charged, you will need to use your email to sign in to the Meta VR system.
- Opening And Connecting The App: If everything turns on as it should, you will need to enable the Bluetooth feature on your mobile phone.
- Scroll The Menus: If you are on the app, you should navigate to the headset settings table. Under this tab, you will find a tab for controller settings.
- Pairing Left Controller: After clicking on the “pair new controller” setting, you will be able to select the right or left controller to pair. This is done by holding the “Y” button on the left controller and the menu buttons, which lets it find different devices.
- Pairing Right Controller: To pair the right controller, you also need to hold down the menu buttons. However, you should hold down the “B” button on the controller instead of the “Y” button.
- Connecting: To know when you are connected, you will notice a vibrating effect coming from the controller. Additionally, the light would also flash three times, indicating that the controller is fully connected.
- Done: If you have two controllers vibrating and flashing, you should be ready to use the controllers with your headset and download some of your favorite games.
Keep in mind that when connecting an Oculus Quest 2 controllers replacement option to your existing Meta Quest 2 headset, you might need to perform a factory reset. To perform the reset, you can easily locate the reset feature in the settings tab. I often use this to cast the VR experience on things like a compatible television, Chromecast, and AirServer.
Also Read: Top 10 Cryptocurrency Exchanges 2023 Apps
Frequently Asked Questions
A simple online search would reveal a few common questions about the Quest 2 Oculus controllers and how to connect or set them up effectively. Some of the following questions could be issues you are also struggling with:
1. How Long Does The Oculus 2 Controller Battery Last?
As mentioned, the headset uses a built-in lithium-ion battery that would keep the headset going. Yes, it does run out eventually but lasts far longer than your AA batteries in the remote controller. Determining how long the batteries last is difficult. Disposable batteries would not last as long as rechargeable batteries. You should also note that as your batteries age, their lifespan decreases due to the damaged cells.
2. How Long Do Oculus Controller Batteries Take To Charge?
Much like the lifespan of the batteries, each brand and battery will have a different charging time. However, those that prefer the Anker docking station might find that it takes about 2.5 hours to charge the controller. Other charging stations might require you to remove the batteries for charging, or it might take slightly longer.
Quest 2 Oculus is one of the newer and more advanced VR games. It features a whole host of features and different components, but the controllers and headset are the most important. Whilst the controllers don’t have built-in batteries, they work effectively with rechargeables. We would love to read your comments on the Oculus controllers and if you experience any battery-related problems in the comment section.
More from The Techconcord
- How to Make a QR Code? Easy Ways to Create QR Codes
- Metaverse Trends 2023: What to Look Out For This Year & Beyond
- 15 Latest Mobile App Development Trends to Watch for in 2023
- PHP 8.2: Release Date, New Features, Updates and Changes
- Why ChatGPT-3 Is the Hottest Topic of Conversation (Updated)
For more information regarding the latest technology, follow Techconcord.